Gallbladder removal is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures.
Gallbladder removal surgery is usually performed with minimally invasive techniques
and the medical name for this procedure is Laparoscopic
Cholecystectomy or Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal.
What is the Gallbladder?
- Gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ that rests beneath the right side of the liver.
- Its main purpose is to store and concentrate a digestive liquid (bile) produced by
the liver. Bile is released from the gallbladder after eating, aiding digestion. Bile
travels through narrow tubular channels (bile ducts) into the small intestine.
- Removal of the gallbladder is not associated with any impairment of digestion in
What Causes Gallbladder Problems?
- Gallbladder problems are usually caused by the presence of gallstones which are
usually small and hard, consisting primarily of cholesterol and bile salts that form
in the gallbladder or in the bile duct.
- It is uncertain why some people form gallstones but common risk factors include
being female, prior pregnancy, age over 40 years and being overweight.
- Gallstones are also more common as you get older and some people may have
a family history of gallstones.
- These stones may block the flow of bile out of the gallbladder, causing it to be
over distended l and resulting in sharp abdominal pain, vomiting, indigestion and,
- If the gallstone blocks the common bile duct, jaundice (a yellowing of the skin)
Laparoscopy in English
Laparoscopy in Urdu
How are Gallbladder Problems Found and Treated?
- Ultrasound is most commonly used to find gallstones.
In a few more complex cases, other X-ray test such as a CT scan or a
gallbladder Magnetic resonance imaging / scan may be used to evaluate
- Gallstones do not go away on their own. Symptomatically some can be
temporarily managed by making dietary adjustments, such as reducing fat intake.
- This treatment has a low, short-term success rate. Symptoms will eventually
continue unless the gallbladder is removed. Treatments to break up or dissolve
gallstones are largely unsuccessful.
- Surgical removal of the gallbladder is the time-honored and safest treatment of
What are the Advantages of Performing Laparoscopic Gallbladder
- Rather than a five to seven inch incision, the operation requires only four small
openings in the abdomen.
- Patients usually have minimal post-operative pain.
- Patients usually experience faster recovery than open gallbladder surgery
- Most patients go home the same day of the surgery and enjoy a quicker return to
Why Hashmanis ?
Hashmanis Hospital has excellent modern laparoscopic instruments where international
standards, protocol of sterilization and safety is strictly followed. The surgeons are well
experienced in minimal access surgery and they have got great contribution to the medical
profession. They are great names in the field of surgical practice in the country and abroad.
Dr. SM Abbas Hussain
MBBS (Gold Medalist), FCPS
Specialist General and Laparoscopic Surgeon
Head of Surgery Department
Dr. Masoom Raza FCPS
Dr.Javeria Iftikhar FCPS